Skip to Content
Board of Licensed Professional Counselors,
Licensed Marital and Family Therapists and Licensed Pastoral Therapists

Educational Programs

Educational Programs

Amridge University
School of Human Services
1200 Taylor Road
Montgomery AL 36117
Phone: (800) 351-4040

Argosy University, Nashville
100 Centerview Dr. Ste 225
Nashville TN 37214
Phone: (615) 525-2800

Austin Peay State University
Psychology Department
601 College Street
Clarksville TN  37044
Phone: (931) 221-7233
Dr. Nicole Knickmeyer, Coordinator of Community Counseling program

East Tennessee State University
Counseling Program
Human Development and Learning
Campus Box 70548
Johnson City  TN  37614-1707
Phone: (423) 439-7692

Freed-Hardeman University
Graduate Studies in Counseling
158 E. Main Street
Henderson TN 38340
Phone: (800) 348-3481

Harding School of Theology
1000 Cherry Rd.
Memphis, TN 38117
Phone: (901) 761-1350

Johnson University
Graduate Counseling Program
7900 Johnson Dr.
Box 180
Knoxville, TN 37998
Phone: (865) 251-2217
Email: (Sean Ridge, Counseling Department Chair)

Lincoln Memorial University
School of Education - Counseling Program
6965 Cumberland Gap Parkway
Harrogate, TN 37752

Lindsey Wilson College
School for Professional Counseling
1480 Nashville Pike
Gallatin TN 37066
Phone: 615-448-5455
Danette Hurley, MS, Coordinator

Lipscomb University
Graduate Programs in Psychology
One University Park Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
Phone: (615) 966-5906

Middle Tennessee State University
Professional Counseling Program
College of Education 314 – Box 91
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Phone: (615) 898-2855

Tennessee Tech University
Department of Counseling and Psychology
Box 5031
Cookeville TN  38505
Phone: (931) 372-3457

Trevecca Nazarene University
Graduate Counseling Program
333 Murfreesboro Road
Nashville, TN 37210
Phone: (615) 248-1384

University Memphis
Ball Hall, Room 100
Memphis, TN 38152-0001
Phone: (901) 678-2841

University of Tennessee
College of Education
229 Claxton Addition
Knoxville, TN 37996-3400
Phone: (865) 974-8774

University of Tennessee at Martin
Dept. of Educational Studies
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
240 Gooch Hall
Martin, TN 38238
Phone: (731) 881-7210

Vanderbilt University
Human Development Counseling Program
PO Box 322-GPC
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: (615) 322-8484

Continuing Education

Continuing Education

Failure to comply with continuing education requirements may result in disciplinary action against the licensee or registrant. The disciplinary action will be reported on the Department of Health license verification web site.

Professional Counselors, Marital and Family Therapists and Clinical Pastoral Therapists are required to complete ten (10) clock hours of continuing education during each calendar year. Those persons who hold any two (2) certificates or licenses, i.e., professional counselor, marital and family therapist, and pastoral therapist must separately satisfy the CE requirement for each credential they wish to renew with no duplication between the two. Three (3) clock hours of the ten (10) clock hour annual requirement shall, every two (2) years, pertain to the following subjects: (i) professional ethics; and/or (ii) Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 63, Chapter 22; and/or (iii) Official Compilation, Rules and Regulations of the State of Tennessee, Chapter 0450-2.

Acceptable continuing education shall consist of master or doctoral level course work from a nationally or regionally accredited institution of higher education; attendance at educational events sponsored by national, state, regional, or local professional associations in the field; or events related to the practice of the profession for which a nationally or regionally accredited institution of higher education grants CEUs.

Each person must retain proof of attendance and completion of all CE requirements. This documentation must be retained for a period of four (4) years from the end of the calendar year in which the CE was acquired. This documentation must be produced for inspection and verification, if requested in writing by the board during its verification process. The board will conduct a randomly selected audit of individual records to assure that the CE requirements have been met. An individual's records may be audited during consecutive renewal periods. If audited, he individual must, within fifteen (15) working days of a request from the board, provide evidence of continuing education activities.

The board does not pre-approve CE programs. It is the individual's responsibility using his professional judgment, to determine whether or not programs are applicable and appropriate to his professional development and meet the standards outlined within the board's rules and regulations.

Whenever you have a question regarding continuing education, refer to Rule 0450-1-.12 or 0450-2-.12 or 0450-3-.12, "Continuing Education" or call the Board's Administrative Office and speak to the administrator of the Board.